Congratulations! You’ve just opened your new Avon business and you’re very eager to get started but don’t know how or maybe you’re interested in turning this little hobby into sustainable income or maybe you have limited contacts to approach about your new Avon business. What should you do?
- Don’t become discouraged – the main difference between direct sales and any other business is our approach. With retail sales, people go to the store. With direct sales, we bring the store to people. If you walked down Michigan Avenue in Chicago, you’d come across tens if not hundreds of stores. Do you enter each store? Probably not. Direct sales is no different. Just because a person isn’t interested in your store does not mean that no one else will be. So what do you do? You put yourself in more places — you open more stores. How do you do that?
- Practice the Power of Three (3) – the beauty of Avon is that you can incorporate it in your daily life. Each day that you’re out, running errands, shopping, getting hair done, at the doctor’s office, at work, etc, share Avon with three new people. You can either share Avon products, the Avon opportunity or both. For example, while you’re checking out at a grocery store, offer the Avon brochure or opportunity to the cashier. You’ll be surprised by how many people are looking for an Avon representative. You have to speak to her anyway so why not offer? Whew! The hard part is over. Someone has accepted your brochure, but what’s the next step? Collect his/her contact information — but why??? To follow up.
- Follow-up – the cashier loved that she met an Avon representative but you haven’t heard from her. Still, do not become discouraged. Many people have busy lives. Don’t assume because she hasn’t called that she isn’t interested in buying. She may have misplaced the brochure, forgot the order due date or simply waiting to see if you’re serious about your Avon business. People can be such skeptics :). Give a quick call, text or e-mail with an order reminder. Try to do this two or three days before your order goes in but in the meantime, continue to get your store in front of more people by practicing the Power of 3, ordering more brochures, engaging in social media or all of the above.
- Order plenty of brochures – your brochures are your store. Unlike many other direct sales companies, Avon does not require that you purchase any inventory. How do you get the word out there? Your brochures! Each time you place your brochure in someone’s hand, you are gaining a potential customer or recruit. Try to increase the amount of brochures ordered by ten (10) each campaign.
- Social media – as Avon representatives, you can sell and recruit anywhere in the United States. Do not limit yourself to your neighborhood. Reach out to old colleagues, family members and others that may have moved using Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn, etc. Most likely, you’re on some form of social media everyday. Use that time to grow your business by sharing your online store.
What is the cost of brochures?
|11+||$21.49 for the first 10 packs plus $1.69 for each additional pack|
What is the typical return on investment?
There are many factors in play here. The average customer order is $25; however, this depends on your customer base. This also depends on if you buy any items for yourself or choose to reinvest in your business by purchasing demo items and samples or if you give away personal discounts.
You order five (5) packs of brochures (50) at cost of $15.09.
With those 50 brochures, you were able to sell to 20 customers.
Total revenue: 20 customers * $25= $500
Your earnings: $500 at 40% profit= $200
Earnings – Expense (brochures/business tools) = Total Profit
$200 – $15.09= $184.91
Use example of ordering 100 brochures:
Expense: 100 brochures at $21.49
Sold to 45 customers = 45 * $25 = $1,125
Your earnings: $1,125 at 45% earnings = $506.25
Earnings – Expense = Total Profit
$506.25 – $21.49 = $484.76
So now ask yourself: was the additional $6.40 investment (difference between 50 brochures and 100) worth a potential $300 increase in earnings?
What if you purchase too many brochures and can’t get them all out in time?
The great news is Avon brochures are like Walgreens sales ads. Unless the company announces, the products will be the same in each brochure (i.e.: discontinued, new formula, etc). The only thing that may change is the sales price. Unlike Walgreens, Walmart, Best Buy or any other sales ad, the prices are effective for 6 weeks (current campaign and 2 future campaigns). Even if the brochure has expired, simply inform customers that it’s older but you’ll see what price you’re able to find for it.
What if you can’t afford to purchase many brochures?
That’s fine. Try to promote your online store as much as possible and purchase how many brochures you can afford. When you hand someone a brochure, make sure to tell them that you’ll need it back within 2-3 days as you’re just launching your Avon business.
Will that make you look unprofessional?
Absolutely not! Most people are used to working with Avon ladies and they’ll even try to accommodate you as they know it is work getting started. Everyone had to start somewhere.
How will you gain customers if you’re taking back the brochures?
By giving potential customers a deadline, it creates a sense of urgency so they don’t just sit the book down and forget it or even worse, they throw it away! Unfortunately, many people believe the book is no good after a few days or the order due date has passed. By collecting the book, you’re actually getting your money’s worth by increasing the number of people to see it which then in turn, enables more people to purchase from it.
Remember: in order to be successful, you have to get yourself out there. Have fun with it! If you meet a new person, share the brochure and gain a new friend.
Not part of Avon yet? Click here to get started.