Have you heard? I have a beauty group now dedicated to giving daily tips, beauty hacks, skin care tips and inspiration! Want to be part of The Beautiful Tribe? Click here to join the Facebook group to connect with other beauty lovers, get helpful advice and share your passion!
Click “Play” to listen to this blog 🙂
Have you ever been online and saw someone’s skin and thought it just looks flawless? Like naturally flawless? Like doesn’t look like they’re wearing any makeup or foundation and makes you question if they’ve ever been hit with puberty? Well, that was my goal! Sometimes, the “made up look” just isn’t needed or wanted for your everyday run to the grocery store. Luckily, I finally found something to give me that perfect skin look!
Seriously, I can’t believe it myself! I am a full-face, make-up beat-to-the-Gawds type of girl but for the past five months, I’ve ditched foundation.
Previous Foundation Routine
For those of you who don’t know, here were my makeup steps:
- Face Primer
- Concealer to Shape Eyebrows
- Eye Primer
- False Lashes
Now on to the Foundation Routine
- Liquid Foundation – usually mixing two shades especially during season changes
- Concealer to Highlight Under Eyes, Forehead and Chin
- Contour Cheeks and Nose (no forehead contour – I like my big forehead how it is)
- Translucent Powder to Set Face
- Tinted Loose Powder to Set Highlighted Areas (avoids giving the ghostlike look in pics)
- Strobe Cheekbones, Tip of Nose and Cupid’s Bow
- Setting Spray
In that order!
Now some may say that is too much but trust me, baby, my face would be flawless! Look at the pictures if you don’t believe me.
But in recent years, I’ve spent a good chunk of my time focusing on my skin health. This means finding the appropriate products for my skin: skin type, skin concerns, sensitivities and skin care goals. Proud to say I have my regimen down to the T!
I’m at the point where now I can enjoy the fruits of my labor! Old acne scars have cleared up and even the gray patches that formed as a result of an allergic reaction have faded to the point that they’re almost non-existent.
Not to toot my own horn but my face is looking pretty good! And now, it even has a natural “glow.”
My last skin care quest, or should I say trophy, was the Vitamin C Warming Peel Exfoliant and when I tell you, my skin has never felt so soft! It’s like a newborn baby lives on my face!
But back to the topic, I’m finally at a point now where I feel “comfortable” in my own skin. So I’ve streamlined my makeup process and I thought I would share it with you.
I have never received so many compliments on my skin in my life! Even random strangers tell me how beautiful and healthy my skin looks!
Do You Really Need to Wear Foundation?
Truth is: most of us don’t NEED full-coverage foundation. I know, I know. Most makeup gurus and YouTube stars all sport the full-coverage foundation so it seems like a must, right?
Full coverage foundation is best if either you are going to be on-the-screen (i.e. theater, movie, camera, etc) or if you have problematic areas that are very noticeable. Because it’s full coverage, it completely gives you an even coverage — washing out your normal coloring. For those of you wondering, this is why we contour and use blush. It gives the face some “dimension” and character so we’re not flat drawings on a sheet of paper. Used sparingly, they make us look more natural. Of course, you can add more contour to sculpt the face or other body parts but that’s a topic for a different day.
Most of us can do with either a medium coverage, light coverage or even sheer coverage foundation or base.
Common Issues When Using Foundations
- Applying too much gives a cakey look or flakes
- Hard to match perfectly
- Finish can sometimes look unnatural in different settings
- Can possibly clog pores which is horrible for acne-prone skin
New Foundation Routine
On Wednesday, I attended a meeting with the American Cancer Society and literally at least six ladies stopped to tell me how “flawless” my face was which reminded me of when I was in Puerto Rico (less than two weeks ago). A lady said my skin was just glowing and she wanted to touch it. So I decided to step outside to get a good picture. And yes, I zoomed in just to show you.
This is NOT a foundation. I repeat this is NOT a foundation. This is tinted moisturizer.
So here is my current everyday makeup routine:
- Face Primer
- Brows (concealer now optional)
- Mascara (I’m still learning how to apply. I used to be messy because I knew the falsies would cover it up)
- Tinted Moisturizer — applied with beauty sponge (I have a thing against applying makeup with hands)
- Translucent Powder to Set
- Strobe (optional)
- Lipstick/Lip Gloss
- Setting Spray
That is it! Yes, my makeup and foundation routine has been cut in half.
Which Product Replaced My Foundation Routine
I’m wearing the Magix Tint Brightening Tinted Moisturizer in the shade Medium. This is a new-to-market product, only being released this summer! I love trying new things 🙂
What I Like Best About the Tinted Moisturizer
- It’s affordable — you can get it for $9.99 plus save an additional 10% off when you shop online
- It does as it promises: blurs imperfections, tints and hydrates skin
- It’s lightweight and breathable — doesn’t feel heavy
- It’s illuminating so gives your skin a dewy, glow aka young, youthful, healthy appearance
- The shade range is perfect for all complexions. I love that I’m “Medium” meaning there is something for my darker beauties
- It’s easier to blend so you don’t have to worry about getting the “perfect” match — perfect for beginners
- A little goes a long way
- Healthy for the skin — contains passion fruit, chia and sunflower seeds plus Vitamins E and B5
- Lasts all day — it was over 95 degrees in Puerto Rico and it didn’t budge plus I’ve done my fair share of partying and it lasts all through the night
- With my oily/combo skin, I was concerned about adding another “moisturizer” on top of my moisturizer but surprised to see I didn’t look like an oily mess
- Perfect for everyday wear — because it easily blends and matches your skin, you don’t have to worry about mixing foundations (thus saving product and money)
- It’s water-based so perfect for oily skin and you don’t have to worry about it clogging pores.
- Though it’s a moisturizer, you can build the coverage. I have a birthmark on the left side of my face and it isn’t noticeable in either of the pictures above.
Tips for using:
- Still apply your regular moisturizer BEFORE the tinted moisturizer and allow all skin care products to soak in before applying the tinted moisturizer. Applying regular moisturizer will give your skin the extra barrier and protection while also helping the product glide easier on to the skin.
- Because it is lightweight and water-based, some people may feel it is “runny.” For better control, apply a few dots directly to your face. Then blend with beauty sponge, brush or your fingers.
- Start with light coverage all over and apply a second layer on areas where you’d like a little more coverage.
- For oily or more mature skin, set using a loose or pressed powder. I’d suggest a translucent powder so it doesn’t alter the shade/tint. If you know that dewy or illuminating finishes don’t flatter you, this may not be the product for you.
Where It Could Possibly Use a Little Improvement
Unfortunately, the formula does not contain SPF or sun protection; however, I have mixed feelings about this. In the beauty industry, we’ve come to expect it in almost all of our products. Normally, especially for those of us on the darker side, SPF in foundations usually causes that awful “flashback” look in pictures so we look like we’re related to Casper.
Now because I already use a sunscreen with SPF 50 rating, it really doesn’t matter to me anyway. Though I feel this is an area of improvement, it’s not a deal breaker for me.
Do I Recommend the Magix Tint Tinted moisturizer?
Of course I do! Four years ago, I discovered the Magix Face Perfector and absolutely fell in love with it! I still use it today! It’s non-negotiable! So when I heard that the Tinted Moisturizer was coming out, I had to jump on it. It’s like the Magix Face Perfector mixed with a moisturizer. No brainer to me!
I’d recommend it to the busy lady on-the-go, the lady who wants to simplify her foundation routine, the lady who’s tired of being foundation matched and still not getting the perfect shade, the lady who’s just getting started with makeup and wants to keep it simple or the lady who takes great pride in her skin and doesn’t want to mask it.
Magix Tint Swatch (look closer and you can see the shimmering/luminescent glow):
Interested in purchasing? Click here to receive 10% off!
What’s Up Next?
Avon just announced the Magix Wand Foundation Stick and you better believe it’s going to be next in my beauty bag. It’s buildable so offers sheer to full coverage.
Helps control oil AND it’s water resistant. If you‘re looking for more coverage than a tinted moisturizer, I’d definitely suggest the foundation stick. But you can always wait for me to try it first 🙂
3 thoughts on “Why I No Longer Wear Foundation: The Perfect No-Makeup Makeup Routine”
Pingback: Avon MagiX Face Perfector Review – Chicago's Beauty
I still wear face powder but I’ve given up heavy foundation long ago . I don’t know if I’ll go back though . By the way your glow is amazing 💕
LikeLiked by 1 person
I’m seriously considering tossing the foundation for good! Of course, there will always be my pics where I want to do full on glam but not right now though 🙂 I’m loving the simple approach. Thank you so much and thanks for reading 😘
LikeLiked by 1 person