Need help with picking the right skin care products for your skin or do you love learning about new skin care products? Join my free Facebook Group: Skin Care ✔️
Pimples, zits, blemishes, breakouts, acne — whatever you want to call them, we all hate them.
Up until just recently, I literally forgot what it felt like to have them. Since I’ve changed my skincare routine, I’ve had no more than one pimple and it just so happens to occur around that “time” *sigh*
Lately, I’ve been living life like it’s golden — like no pimple monster could touch me. That was until last week when I found myself not having one pimple, but four!!! There were two pimples under each eye.
I didn’t want to leave the house!
I felt like everyone would judge me for my pimples. Hey! It happens! Have you ever heard the name Pepperoni Face? Pizza Face? Crater face? Commander Spot? Looking at people shake their heads because they know you’re too old to have a pimple?
So what happened?!?!?
What changed in my daily routine that could have possibly caused the breakouts?
Here’s the first day of working out:
Here’s the very next day (do you see the pimples forming on the left side):
What exactly happened:
- We have an incentive and I’m going to Jamaica.
- We decided to get a puppy.
- We purchased an exercise bike for the house.
- Lazy mindset.
Now add it all up and it spells disaster. I’m trying to get Bermuda-ready so I promised to exercise each day. The puppy is too young for strenuous activity so I exercise him separately and then I work out.
My days looked a little like this:
- Walk/jog/sprint with puppy for 20-25 minutes
- Hop on exercise bike
- Take puppy out for potty break
- Walk/jog/sprint with puppy for 20-25 minutes
- Head to the gym
- Stop at PetCo or grocery store since they’re all in the same vicinity
Throw an occasional monkey wrench in there so I’d never get right back to cleanse my face.
End result: it would be at least one hour after sweating before I’d wash my face.
I figured as long as I washed my face it would be ok, right? Wrong!
Most acne forms by dead skin cells, bacteria and oil clogging your pores. People who exercise frequently generally produce more dead skin cells than those who do not. Be sure to exfoliate at least twice per week if you exercise frequently to remove the excess dead skin cells.
When you exercise, your pores are expanding or opening which is actually a good thing. It helps the blood and oxygen circulate throughout your skin. Your sweat helps regulate your body temperature and keeps it cooler; exercising helps cleanse the body from the inside and has been said to prevent some signs of aging such as wrinkles and sagging skin. In other words, don’t stop exercising! It’s very beneficial.
Your body is pushing the dead skin cells and toxins out to help keep you beautiful. If you leave them on the surface, they’ll find a way back in — getting caught in your pores; thus, creating acne.
The best way to prevent it is by cleansing your face before and after exercising.
Cleansing before you exercise will help remove any leftover makeup, oils and bacteria from the previous day or accumulated since the last time you cleansed your face. Remember, your pores will open when exercising. You don’t want to let in old dirt 🙂
And of course, you want to cleanse after to get those new impurities off your skin and out of your system.
I’m not a fan of taking a shower at the gym. To each, her own. It’s just not my thing.
What can you do if you don’t like to use the shower or in a hurry?
First things first, take a towel to pat the excess sweat off. It may help some to clear your pores but you still want to cleanse your face.
This is all about personal preference but I suggest putting one of these three items in your gym bag or purse:
- Gentle Cleanser – take your daily cleanser with you. Try the Anew Clean Illuminating Rich Cleansing Foam which is oil-free and suitable for Normal/Combination skin. It’s gentle enough to be used twice daily and won’t strip your natural oils. The goal is to get rid of excess oil not ALL oil as the oil helps the skin maintain it’s youthful, radiant look.
- Facial Cleansing Wipes – some gyms have low water pressure and it seems almost impossible to wash away all of your cleanser or sometimes, you’re just really in a rush to leave. With wipes, you can literally wipe your face off while you’re heading to the car! Try the Makeup Remover Wipes with Mineral Complex. They’re gentle enough to be used around your eye area.
- Micellar Cleansing Water – usually does not require water. Simply pour some on a towel, wipe your face and go. Micelles are attracted to dirt and oil so it helps draw them out and clean your face. They’re suspended in soft water so it will also help maintain your skin’s moisture. Try Anew Clean Micellar Cleansing Water, not only does it cleanse but also tones.
What did I use to get rid of the four pimples in less than 4 days?
I believe any of the solutions above could help prevent acne; however, I personally prefer the micellar cleansing water. It’s suitable for all skin types and not only does it cleanse but it also tones which is great for people with oily skin. It eliminates the step of having to use a separate toner and I feel I could literally just apply my moisturizer after using it.
I like that I can control how much comes out. As I said before, we have a puppy. He loves licking our faces. I’ve seen the things that go into his mouth and quite frankly, I don’t want them on my face. After he’s done trying to lick the skin off my face, I just throw a little micellar water on a napkin and wipe the area. They say it’s gentle enough to be used twice daily but so far, I’ve been using it anywhere from 3-5 times and haven’t had any issues. I have very sensitive skin so it’s a definite plus for me!
Literally, here’s a picture of me in the car with micellar water. As soon as I finished working out, I cleansed my face in the car and drove to the other side of the lot to go to the grocery store.
Do you have breakouts after exercising?